Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Monday, October 24, 2005

These aren't bad seats, they're just from a different perspective. :-)

I haven't blogged in a while because I've just been so busy with other crap. I'm getting sick of reading for comps. But, I can't get TOO sick of it yet because I still have more readings left and more ideas to develop before it's all said and done. Blehhh.

But, I'm still managing to have fun in my weekends with Steve! This past weekend we actually left the apartment (instead of hanging around, watching movies, cooking, etc) and went to the Philadelphia Orchestra on Saturday night. It was awesome. The evening started out humorously, when we got in the car headed toward Centre City and realized that we didn't know exactly where the theater was--Steve just knew a general area. Nicole to the rescue!! Thankfully, she answered her cell and looked up the directions on their website. LOL! Anyway, we went to the pre-concert talk, which was really interesting. One of the violinists talked about a little known piece that they were playing, Zemlinksy's Die Seejungfrau (The Mermaid,) It's a programmatic piece based on Hans Christian Andersen's "Mermaid," which was also the story for Disney's "The Little Mermaid." (Though the real story is MUCH darker!) The other piece that was on the program is one of my favorites--Dvorak's Cello Concerto. When they began playing it at the start of the program, I got goosebumps all over, even on my scalp! That's the best.

Our seats were really interesting though. I got them late (Thurs afternoon) and these were 2 of the last 4 seats available in the cheap-cheap price range ($15 each including fees). They were on the 3rd tier balcony, but BEHIND the orchestra. The tuba and trombones were directly below us, and we could have thrown a quarter in the tuba if we had wanted to! LOL. Thanks to an upbringing in the arts and the Furman Music Dept though, I have proper concert etiquette. :-) I would consider getting those seats again, even if others were available, because we could hear the inside voices and harmony a lot better (yay, clarinets!) and it was just interesting to see the conductor from the performers' point of view. Ahhh, memories. :-) Just think--if we weren't cheap and poor, we never would have had such an opportunity.

2 Comments:

Blogger erica said...

Neat! That reminds me of the Globe theater in London... there are the groundling "seats", which just means people get to stand on the lawn, and then there are seats on wooden bleachers around the front of the stage, and then there are these few random seats up behind the stage, so everybody watching the play also gets to watch these 10 or 12 people watching the play. =) Could the other people at the concert see you guys? If so, did you get all self-conscious? Hehehe.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

LOL, actually other people could see us a bit. Before the performance started we saw a woman in the front of the orchestra section pointing and laughing! :-) I don't think we were visible during the performance though. We had to lean over the railing to see much of the orchestra. They sell tickets in the "conductor's circle" that sound like the Globe Theater--there is an elevated section of seats directly behind the orchestra, and other audience members can see them the whole time! Tickets are pretty pricey for that too!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home