Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Monday, August 22, 2005

an ode to oatmeal

Well, not an ode really, but that title sounded good.... thanks to the suggestions of Sarah, I have discovered many new ways to fix oatmeal for a delicious, nutritious, and filling breakfast. Before about 2 months ago, I enjoyed oatmeal for breakfast (alternating with cereal if I wanted a pour and eat breakfast), but I always made it with the same ol cinnamon, sugar/spenda, and raisins. However, Sarah has invented creative other ways and I have been enlightened. My favorite for almost every morning for the past 6 weeks or so has been oatmeal with blueberries, sugar/spenda, and almond extract. You have to be careful not to get TOO much almond extract though--just a few drops will do. It is delicious! As Sarah so accurately put it, it tastes like a blueberry muffin. That and a glass of milk, chocolate soymilk, and/or a cup of coffee starts the day off right. As I was telling Steve recently, I actually look forward to breakfast when I know I have oatmeal with blueberries and almond extract waiting for me! Other genius oatmeal ideas from Sarah include:

-peaches with almond extract, cinnamon, and sugar/spenda
-strawberries with cocoa powder and sugar/spenda
-or just cocoa powder and sugar/spenda--yes, chocolate oatmeal!! :-)

And here's one that I think would be good:
-sliced banana and vanilla extract

Yummmmmy. Now I'm looking forward to going to sleep so I can get up and have breakfast! :-)

Try it, and post a comment on whether you like it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mMMM...yum and doesn't sound like it would cost too much. I'm bad about skipping breakfast especially when in class. Would be great for the cold London winter as well. Thank you to you and your friend. I'll have to try those out. :-)~Becca

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home