Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I figured this out long ago...

CNN.com has an article entitled "Dork Pride! Suddenly it's cool to be uncool." It is about high school students embracing their lifestyles instead of trying to pretend they are cool. It includes a picture of two students making shirts that say "Orch Dork" (for orchestra dork). LOL! Anyway, here's a quote:

"We used to not be able to stand the fact that we were in orchestra," says Weiss, who's been playing the violin since fourth grade and proudly wore the shirt to her high school this year. "Finally, we realized that's where all our friends are and that's where we have the most fun."

Ahh, memories. I can relate! I don't think I was ever ashamed to be in band, but I certainly took that attitude. We were ahead of the trend! :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger erica said...

Yeah, I think the way to be cool is to take stock of what's important to you and then embrace it, often requiring you to willfully disobey what's popular. I always felt like we band kids had a much better bond than the silly drunken and/or pot-smoking fools who thought they were the coolest kids in school but who ended up eating bugs on Fear Factor. For example. =) Nice that CNN did a story to let the rest of the people know what we already knew, though.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Are any of us surprised that we were ahead of the trend? I wonder how many of those drunk and/or pot smoking kids from HS are still close with all the same people?! I'd be willing to guess it's 25% or less... I think the geographical location has a lot to do with how cool or uncool band people are too.. cuz in NY (the area I was from anyway) marching band hardly existed. They did 1 maybe 2 parades a year, and forget halftime shows and marching competitions. I think college bands are pretty straight across the board, assuming there is a FB team.. but it certainly wasn't big at all for HS.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I identify myself as a former band nerd with pride and I have to agree with you guys. I've seen people around from high school when I was back in W-S working as a cashier and they'd be surprised that we're all still in touch. LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!~ Becca

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home