Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Friday, September 30, 2005

the Flying Spaghetti Monster

This is hilarious. Has anyone seen this?? Someone made up a theory of evolution based on a Flying Spaghetti Monster and is trying to make the Kansas School Board agree to teach about it as an alternative to both evolution and intelligent design. The liberal members of the school board are actually into it! He's raising money to sue them if they refuse to add it to the curriculum.

Here are a few quotes from the website: "We feel strongly that the overwhelming scientific evidence pointing towards evolutionary processes is nothing but a coincidence, put in place by Him. It is for this reason that I’m writing you today, to formally request that this alternative theory be taught in your schools, along with the other two theories...If the Intelligent Design theory is not based on faith, but instead another scientific theory, as is claimed, then you must also allow our theory to be taught, as it is also based on science, not on faith."

The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Creative idea, and makes a good point too. :-) I have to say though, my favorite part of it is the nickname: His Noodly Appendage. :-D

3 Comments:

Blogger erica said...

So funny. My goodness. My head hurts from laughing. The part that really made me laugh, when I would have had milk coming out of my nose if I had been drinking milk, was when I saw the graph of Global Temperature vs. Number of Pirates. They have T-shirts with that graph, and I've already told Jack I want one for Christmas. =)

Thanks for posting this. I needed a really good laugh!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

tee hee.. that's so funny & nutty. I think it's great that the school board members are playing along/feeding into it. Good for them for having a sense of humor in a ridiculous situation!! Where did you find this?

11:37 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

NH, I just found through word of mouth. From the dates on the response e-mails though, it looks like it's been going on for a while (since June, etc)! My personal favorite picture on the website is the one of a landscape, where the Flying Spaghetti Monster outline is silvery in the sky. ROTFL! :-) Glad it gave you a laugh!

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home