Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The E.G.G.

Brilliant! There is an article in this month's Vegetarian Times about a great little product that helps keep produce fresh longer. It is called the E.G.G., which stands for Ethylene Gas Guardian. Apparently, as some fruits and vegetables ripen, they release ethylene gas, which speeds the ripening of other fruits and vegetables. Apparently this is why you can place a peach or avocado in a brown bag with a ripe banana to speed the ripening of the peach or avocado -- the banana gives off ethylene gas. This handly little thing absorbs the gas and keeps your produce from going bad.

I am getting one of these ASAP!

Plus, after you use the E.G.G. in the fridge for a few months, you can place the used product in your plants and they love it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Interesting. I remember learning about the gas that certain fruits give off to ripen others, I think maybe on Mr. Wizard or some other random science show from when we were kids. That's great that they have something to stop it from happening. I wonder if it is the same for veggies? I tend to have more veggies (like celery, cucumbers or peppers) get soft/rotten that I do fruit..

10:40 PM  
Blogger erica said...

Cool gadget! I usually just poke holes in my veggie bags, or I don't seal them at the top, and that helps them not go bad as quickly (especially peppers, lettuce, and squash). I'll have to check out this thing, though. =)

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home