Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Sunday, January 22, 2006

wedding flowers


Aren't these flowers beautiful?

They're wooden! They are from Bergo Designs: hand-crafted wooden flowers. We're considering using them for our wedding because: they're unique, remarkably real looking, they last longer than real flowers, and they're stress-free ( can get them a month before the wedding and they'll look the same on the wedding day, unlike the last-minute stress of arranging wholesale fresh flowers).

The question is, what colors should I use? I wanted to do a purple against the cornflower color of attendants' dresses, but I'm afraid that just looks mismatched because cornflower is more blue than purple. Yellow/white and pink/white are the most updated possibilities. Here's a sample of the possible colors arranged around the fabric sample. Thoughts? Suggestions? The color palate available is here.

I've had a few mini-crises about this! There aren't natural blue roses, so I don't want to use wooden blue roses, but I feel like the bouquets need something to tie in the color of the dresses. Perhaps cornflower colored ribbons tied around the stems? Do lilies, daisies, or tulips come naturally in cornflowerish/blue colors?

If we do wholesale fresh flowers (from Freshroses.com), I'd like to keep it simple, but I'd need to use another type of flower other than roses to have blue or cornflower color. Delphinium looks possible, but I'm nervous about arranging too many types of flowers together! :-/

5 Comments:

Blogger erica said...

We used a lot of delphinium in our bouquets and such, and I love it with white. But for you guys, I like the idea of using the cornflower blue ribbon and having the purple/yellow/pink/white palette, just like your second photo... it's very natural looking, like the stuff you'd find in a random field, but organized. BTW, those wooden flowers look awesome. And we could do a yellow or purple real flower in the boutonnieres with some greenery and the same blue ribbon (unfortunately, I don't know how to make a boutonniere out of a wooden flower, since the stem isn't malleable). Those look really neat, and you could rent or lend them out to future brides, too. =)

Happy planning!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I like the yellow with the color of the dresses, it just looks happy. I looked on the flower website and the "wooden daisy likes" in ocean mist or something like that are pretty. I think they'd look nice with some yellows and whites and pinks, and would tie in blue with it all. I'm trying to think of other blue-ish flowers. You'd think I'd know all the blue flowers, considerng I love all things blue. Right now my mind is blank though. Real tulips, iris, and daffoldils (and it seems like almost any bulb flowers) come in every color of the rainbow now. I love looking through my mom's Breck's catalog at all the shades and patterns of flowers out there. Maybe that's where you should check, just to get ideas. (www.brecks.com)

7:12 PM  
Blogger Tucker said...

Wow! Those wooden flowers are awesome. My cousing used fabric flowers in her wedding and they were fab. There's a color on the wooden website called aqua splash that looks like it could be discontinued but would be great for the dresses. Also, as far as real flowers go, have you thought about hydrangea? That would be a really beautiful light blue to add to the arrangement!

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! i was going to say the same thing...have you thought of hydrangeas, they have blue AND purple. My friend just used a simple bouquet of hydrangeas for everybody, the only thing that distinguished hers from teh b'maids was the ribbon. Then they had a big bucket (well, more like nice vase) of them at front with candles and that's all the decorations. It was so simple, and so stunningly elegant. And all they did was go out that morning and pick the hydrangeas from her neighbors yard (with permission, of course).

http://lilychartier.com/images/80891%20b%20hydrangea.jpg

9:34 AM  
Blogger nowornever said...

hey, after what we talked about last night and after looking at the pics. i like the idea of white and yellow..then using the fabric to tie it in. thats my vote..i like the contrast without another flower to tie it in. i think it will get too complicated

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home