Hollywood marriages make me sick :-P
Hollywood marriages irritate me. They make a mockery out of the whole institution of marriage, using it for publicity, fame, and self-promotion instead of for love. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman were together 10 years and were Hollywood's golden couple before their divorce. I gave up all hope of Hollywood marriages when they split up. I recently read a quote from his publicist saying, "let's face it, 10 years is a long time in showbiz." Well then, why don't they just make it official and change the vows to: "till death, cheating, selfishness, or need for new press does us part...or until we get to double-digit years, whichever comes first."
Now, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are engaged. He is old enough to be her father, and she just broke off another engagement in February after a FIVE YEAR relationship (take some "me time" to heal, for heaven's sake!). I'm being horribly judgmental here, but really--how can a person recuperate from the loss of a 5 year relationship in a month and start seriously dating again, in time to be engaged again in June? Plus, they have only known each other for 2 months, and their entire relationship has been much too exhuberantly publicized for my taste. And hmmmm they both have movies coming out this summer, got engaged late last week, her movie "Batman Begins" opened Friday, and it was #1 in the box office this weekend. Hmmm. Innnnteresting. I'm with the entertainment critics who say that this is too suspicious. This is just the kind of thing about Hollywood marriages that irritates the crap out of me.
If they were just honest about it...if they called it something different than marriage, "Hollyarriage" maybe, that would be a little better. It's so obviously a stunt, and how can people go through with saying "till death do us part" when they KNOW they don't mean it? At least for the 50% of Americans who get divorced, it is more probable that they go into to whole-heartedly and with good intentions.
Wouldn't it be great if REAL LIFE worked this way? If getting engaged or married to Steve could get me a job, earn millions, or even just get my damned PhD degree??
AH HA! The solution: I could break my engagement with Steve now, start dating a Hollywood star in August, and be engaged to him and a star myself by October. But then of course, I would hate myself, and I wouldn't have Dr. Babe to cuddle with. :-)

5 Comments:
Hahahah, Lauren, you make me laugh. I can totally hear you verbalizing this rant. :-P My babysitting parents were talking about Tom & Katie on Saturday night when I was over there, asking me if I'd ever consider marrying Tom Cruise or someone his age. I was like "hell no!" Even if it were Tom Cruise himself. He's OLD!" Then they laughed at me cuz I was like "well, not old, just too old for me" because they're both in their early 40's. =)
Anywho, I feel your "pain" about celeb marriages. I'm more miffed about Brad & Jen than I was about Tom & Nicole, esp now with all the stuff coming out about Brad & Angelina.. whatever.. I realize it's hard with all the press pestering you.. but prove them wrong and stand up for yourselves for Pete's sake!
LOL. Yeah, I can't imagine dating someone in their 40s. I guess an age gap of 16 years or so is less important the older you get though.
When I was telling Steve about this last night, I thought of something else I should have written in the original post, but now that Nicole has read it, I'll put it in a comment instead of editing..."what, THIS is ok but gay marriage isn't?! Sanctity of marriage my ass!!"
Yeah, the whole Brad, Jen, Angelina clusterfuck was odd too. It just goes to show, you can even be Jennifer Aniston, gorgeous & successful, and still be cheated on. There are way too many beautiful, rich, spoiled, entitled people in one place there, it is a recipe for disaster!
It's nice to see the few Hollywood couples who do last (Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, et al), but it makes me wonder what in the world the others are on. I've thought about it a lot lately, and I think that since they're artists (or most of them are, anyway), they have this sort of hippie commune philosophy, sharing themselves on a very visceral level with everybody. Think about the number of people who star in movies or TV shows together and then date or get married... there's something to the fact that they have these deep connections when they act together, so maybe that just translates into throwing oneself headlong into each relationship. That sort of answers the question about how in the world they can get to know each other so quickly (and therefore decide they ought to get married in a matter of weeks), but I don't get how they fall out of love so fast. I guess we can chalk that up to immaturity.
Katherine, it makes me LOL that you referenced Dawson's Creek in your comment. :-P You must have always sat on the Dawson bed.
The Pacey bed was way better. Dawson's face is a weird shape.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home