Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Monday, April 18, 2005

my garden plans :-(

I was going to plant a garden in a garden plot, but I have encountered some obstacles. I am moving in a month, so I can't plant one here at my house like I did last year. The arboretum near Steve's apartment that I wanted to have a plot at is full and has a waiting list for next summer of 2006. The graduate student association has plots but they are also full, and inquiring about obtaining additional space. :-(

I really loved my garden last summer and want to plant another one this year! My top prioritites are basil and tomatoes, but yellow squash, peppers, green beans and okra would be nice too. At this point, I have two remaining options: (1) plant in containers on Steve's balcony, or (2) plant in containers on the deck of my new townhouse, and have my new roommates tend to the plants until late June when I am back in town. In any case, I am determined to have a garden again this summer...even if I have to plant on top of my car! (well ok, that is impractical, but you get the point)

1 Comments:

Blogger erica said...

Hey, I know this doesn't care of the veggies, but you could get a nice-sized chunk of basil going in a little pot. I have a pot outside that houses basil, oregano, cilantro, dill, and mint (which is slowly taking over everything else!), and those are all doing quite nicely. Plus, a pot would be nice and portable for when you move. Anyway, you've probably thought of that already. =)

We housesat for one of my professors last semester, and his wife has all of her tomato and pepper plants in big rubbermaid containers with holes in the bottom for drainage. She had covers on them with holes for the actual plants to peek through, but I'm not sure exactly how she had stuff going on inside, since it was all covered up. Anyway, those would be portable to your new abode! I can try to figure out more about that if you want, but it might be way too much to mess with!

Happy planting, whatever you end up doing! =)

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home