Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Monday, February 28, 2005

I passed :-)

I passed my master's defense this morning! :-) They even ended the meeting 15 minutes shy of the 2 hour time block! My committee members signed for it "approved as presented," meaning they don't need to see the manuscript again or have another meeting before I turn it into the Graduate School, and that is the best that one can hope for. I have a few minor revisions--add a caveat in one place in the discussion of results, a table of means for an analysis I've already done, etc. I am feeling good. :-) They asked the toughest questions at the beginning, and once I got through those all of the questions were ones that I had anticipated, and it was smooth sailing. They also recommended me for official advancement to PhD candidacy, which happens in April.

The other exciting thing is that my advisor (Lynn) now thinks that we can write it up to submit for publication as is, before doing the follow-up study, and she thinks it will be competitive in a top-tier journal. I'll still have to do some editing--the thesis is WAYYYY longer & more in depth than an article would be, but this is good. Wa-hoooo!!!

Today (after 10:15am when my meeting was over, that is) is a good day! It's a shame that I have to put in a full day of meetings, office hours, etc today though, but oh well!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't my baby so smart? I'm very very proud of her!

6:21 PM  
Blogger erica said...

Holy cow! Congratulations!!

As soon as I can find one, I'll be sending you a 64-slot toaster, assuming they actually make them... if not, you'll have to settle for a card and a long-distance hug. =) I'm really proud of you!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS LAUREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Tucker said...

Holy crapola!
Way to go Lauren! What an amazing accomplishment! I know you must be feeling like Queen of the world right now! Congrats!!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Sko to the power of 10!! This is even more cause for celebration when I SEE you in a week! =) You rock.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Don said...

Congrats Lauren! You must be on cloud nine with that part being done with (for the most part). Rock On!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home