Caution: yellow lights
On Friday I got to Philly before Steve got home from work, so I was just hanging out, looking at news on the internet, etc. Around 5:00 there was a loud screech outside, crushing metal and car horns, so naturally I went out on the balcony to see what happened. At first all I saw was a blue car sitting crooked in the intersection. Then, I saw a black car IN THE FRONT YARD of Steve's apartment complex, and it had CRASHED THROUGH THE IRON FENCE to get there. :-O Here's what we think happened: the two cars were coming from opposite directions. The black car was in the right lane and floored it to get through a yellow light. The blue car, seeing that the cars in the opposing left lane had stopped, thought it was OK to turn left across that lane of traffic, but couldn't see the black car coming from behind them. Then the black car came out of nowhere and they collided, sending the blue car back into the middle of the intersection and sending the black car into the yard of Steve's apartment complex (which is on the corner of these two streets). We figure that the black car must have been going really fast for it to have bumped the blue car back into the middle of the intersection, then crashed through an iron fence, and still had the momentum to go decently far into the yard of the apartment complex. The speed limit is 35mph, but we figure the person was going at least 45mph. Police cars and an ambulance were here within minutes, but the drivers of the cars were up walking around so they probably weren't seriously injured. I'm glad that there weren't pedestrians standing on the corner at that moment, because they surely would have been dead, after being crashed into by the black car going 45+mph! :-O
Lesson learned: be careful when going through yellow lights.

2 Comments:
woah, that's freaky!! Less than a week and a half till I come visit!! I simply can't wait! We're going to have so much fun. =) ~Nicole
That's crazy, especially considering that Vicky, the chick who cuts my hair, was just telling me that she was a victim of a similar car crash the other week. She was actually going the normal speed through a yellow light, and some 18-year-old girl coming the other way decided to accelerate and turn left at the yellow light right in front of her. The girl must have been concentrating really hard on getting through the light and not even seen the rather large car that Vicky was driving. Neither of them was critically injured, but the weirdest thing was that the girl was shocked when the police officer told her it was her fault! Sometimes I wonder if people actually read their driving manuals or just pass the test through sheer dumb luck.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home