a great trip to NC!
I just got back from a week in NC, and it was great! I had 2 wedding showers (one hosted by our family friend Ann and another hosted by my grandma & aunt) and got lots of great presents. It was fun to be with family & friends, and especially to start celebrating the wedding -- it is really coming, it is real! It has been this abstract event for so long. I got lots of wedding stuff done -- mom & I addressed envelopes & bought ribbon for invitations, Alice & mom & I tied ribbon on bubbles, I got my bra for under my wedding dress, got the bowls for the reception centerpieces, discussed music ideas with Dad & my friend Jennifer (from Furman, she's playing clarinet for the ceremony).
And, *breaking news* we got Mom & Dad together for the first time since their separation (their divorce is now final, it's about time after all this foot dragging) and it went as well as it could. They were civil, we even made some jokes, and it was minimally painful. We just talked about Z's year at UNC-W and upcoming bike trip across the country (post a comment if you still want to donate $$$ to him or the charity!!!), and mostly the wedding weekend -- the schedule, what we need help with, etc. Neither of them really wanted the rehearsal dinner to be the first time they'd been together, and I think it was a good idea to break the ice like this. Whew!
I got to hang out lots with Alice & Nicole, and saw Tucker for an evening dinner & Cold Stone ice cream. Unfortunately, I did not get to swim in the Heller pool :-( because it was too freaking cold! I stuck my feet in, but it was painful! I'm hoping it will still be warm in mid-Sept when I am back for our NC reception.
I got another veil (a two-layer, poufier one than the one E & I bought) and tried it on one evening with my hair in a semi-updo like I'm going to do, and with my mom's pearl necklace & earrings that I'm going to wear.
Here's a sample... Then my tiara goes on top (not a crown! just a hair decoration! LOL), with my hair between my tiara & veil. I needed to do some laundry that night, so Mom & I got the brilliant idea to take satirical photos of me
doing laundry in bridalness. If it were anyone else taking the pictures, I would think it is horribly unfeminist. But we did it with humor, and I think it is funny! :-)
Will this be my life? Ummm, no, I don't think so. When I called to announce our engagement last spring, one of my conservative aunts said, "Well I'm scrubbing the floors now Lauren, this is what you have to look forward to." Umm, excuse me?! I don't think so! But, I just have to take it in stride. :-)

3 Comments:
I love those pictures and somehow I doubt that will be you!!!! And no way scrubbing floors.
It was really nice spending a little bit of time with you and I'm sorry the weather didn't co-operate but then it's been yukking til today. I think the pool is even colder!!!
And yeah for your mom and dad. I'm glad they were able to be pleasant wtih one another. It will make for a much happier day for you. I've been really worried about that for you and Steve and also for your mom and dad. Good work making it happen!!!
Love,
Barb
Huzzah again about your parents, even though you told me about it last week. =)
You look SO pretty with your hair all up and your veil hanging down. I love bridal stuff!
So does Steve scrub floors, or are you going to get a maid? Jack and I sort of take turns mopping, but he hates vacuuming, so I do all that myself, and he dust mops our wood floors, which are all over the house except the bathrooms and the kitchen (and where the few rugs are). Divvying up chores is a great exercise in compromise. =)
I can't wait for the wedding. It's going to be so cool to celebrate that with you guys, and I'm excited about everything you're planning!
Oh, we'll divy up chores for sure. (Ahhh, the Minnesotan expression "for sure!" LOL) I'll probably clean the bathroom, since I'm particular about that and don't mind, and Steve doesn't mind doing dishes most of the time, etc etc.
I didn't mean that I'm above chores or anything, or that it is unfeminist to do housework -- not at all! (The term unfeminist is loaded anyway, because feminists vary in how they define the role in the first place!) I just disagree with my aunt's suggestion that scrubbing floors will be the be all, end all summation of my life, and that I will have nothing more to "look forward to." Her implications were loaded too -- that cleanliness determines my worth as a wife, that I will have no other important component to my life, or that keeping the house clean isn't just as much Steve's responsibility as it is mine.
As for a cleaning service though, I wouldn't mind considering it in a few years, when we both have real jobs, just to have someone come in 1-2 times a month to do the big, time-consuming things. Then we don't have to worry about it, and we can spend time doing fun things -- one of my friends' advisors does that and says it is worth it for the peace of mind and free time. Interesting. But I could also see us getting cheap on the idea later...but fun to think about!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home