My neighbors now think I'm officially insane
It's midnight on a Friday night, and I just got in from covering my tomato & squash plants with a tarp, sheets & wool blankets. The low was 48, and I was concerned for their well-being. I read on a gardening website that you should cover them if the low gets below 55 degrees. I brought in the smaller containers to the garage (e.g. basil, rosemary, pepper plants, etc) but didn't dare move the squash and tomatoes, because they're so big and delicate. I clustered them together, taped tomato stakes on lawn chairs for height, and draped the covers over them to the ground. (The tomatoes were taller than the chairs, so if I had draped stuff on the backs of the chairs alone, it would have crushed the tops of them.)
I now have a tent of sorts in my front yard. Steve said that even his mom doesn't go to such lengths for her garden! But, it's only early August and I couldn't bare (no pun intended) to see them hurt! I think I've become too emotionally attached to my garden!

3 Comments:
Haha. My mom used to do that all the time when we lived in NY. She'd put sheets over all her flowers/bushes along the house, around the pool, etc. It was very funny looking. I think she's even done it around here once or twice. Any real gardener-type person will understand you!
Hey Lauren you don't have to do that unless it's likely to freeze. So don't worry about it til Sept sometime.
And sounds like the maters are doing well again. HURRAY for your gardening expertise!!
Barb
I'm glad your plants are doing well, but I can't imagine why they'd warn you about the temperature getting below 55. Seems alarmist to me.
Anyway, I'm thinking that now, you'll have to go to such lengths for your children when someday they want a tent to play in. I got to play in a quilt over a card table when I was a kid, but it sounds like you could easily outdo that. =)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home