Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

How does your garden grow?

Mine grows very well! Hopefully this won't jinx it. TOMATOES: 3.5 weeks ago, I planted 2 red ones and 1 yellow/red striped one. However, when I was at Lowes last week, they had more tomato plants that already had little green tomatoes and looked very healthy. I couldn't resist!! I just had to get it....though I guess that's cheating a little, planting a plant that already has tomatoes on it! :-) On the new addition, there are about 4 sizeable green ones and about 6 more budding. The most exciting breakthrough is that there are little tomatoes budding on the 2 red plants I planted originally. They're so cute! I can't see them unless you pick up the bud and turn it toward me, but when I do, there they are, little fetus tomatoes about the size of a pea! Mr. Stripey (red/yellow striped tomato plant) is not doing nearly as well, though. He's not as bushy and his leaves keep turning yellow & falling off. :-( I'll blame it on genetic engineering, to protect my newfound garden self-esteem. :-) OKRA: planted from seeds, they are fabulous! They started to poke through the soil at 7 days (right on time) and the leaves & stalks are now about 6 inches tall. No signs of actual okra yet though. PEPPERS & CILANTRO: the rain almost drowned my cayene pepper (being a novice gardener, I hadn't noticed that the container didn't have very good drainage) and it successfully killed my cilantro. I replaced the cilantro with two more $2 plants, and re-planted the cayene pepper to a container with better drainage (it's looking better). Also, feeling pessimistic, I got a second pepper plant (cherry peppers, I'd never heard of them before!) just in case the cayene can't pull through. I feel like a new parent whose child has gotten sick or injured, so guilty. :-\ SQUASH: the two plants are getting much bushier (and smell like squash too), but no baby squash yet. BASIL: by far the best. Every 3-4 days I have been using a handful of leaves, and it keeps replenishing, getting taller and bushier! ROSEMARY: also victim to the frequent rain and poor drainage container, it too has been replanted but is looking much better.

I think I'm hooked on vegetable gardens, and could definitely see myself planting them yearly! I just wish everything would grow faster. This is definitely not an activity for the impatient! I am getting better...I no longer check twice a day to "see if I have tomatoes for dinner yet." Steve said that he was going to go buy tomatoes and put them in the container as a joke! I wouldn't put it past him :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren, isn't nice to do gardening and eat all those things you took care of so well. I'm impressed. I wish I could get some of that good soil down here to do one!!! Wait til you see how much better things taste.
And the more you take off the basil the bushier it will grow and wont' go to seed either.. And if you take off some of the branches of the tomatos, the lower ones, it will make the plant produce bigger ones too. Won't have all the food going into making leaves instead of fruit.
Did you dad and Steve's lilke the grinder for the flax?
Took the dehydrator to your mom and need to call and see if it's worked ok for her.
Where in Philly is Steve moving. My niece lives there. She and her fiance just bought a house and will move in in Aug. They are getting married in NY over Labor Day. Maybe he's near them.
Hang int hre wiht Steve moving. You will get to see some new places. But it isn't the easiest thing to do.
Barb

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home