Standing in the middle of a cornfield in a storm, holding a metal stick...
That's what I did this weekend, Sunday night to be specific! You're probably thinking, "OK, that's it, Lauren has officially gone nuts." Why? I was watching the 4th of July fireworks! It had been nice weather in State College for about two weeks (which is amazing and never happens) but it just had to break the record on the 4th of July. It didn't actually start raining until 8:30, and they had already made the decision to go ahead with the $300,000 fireworks show, the best one in central PA. Steve & I didn't want to fight the crowds to go by the stadium to watch them, especially since it seemed likely they would be postponed, so we had planned to watch from a nearby cornfield. The fireworks were nice as always, especially since they actually managed to syncronize them to the music on the radio this year. Usually it's just background noise. About halfway through, lightning and thunder started too, which was a cool effect until we realized that we were standing in a thin tree cover in the middle of a cornfield, holding metal sticks (umbrellas)!! :-O When the show was over, we were running back to the part of the path that was covered by trees when I slipped on my flipflops and one of them broke! (The part that holds the middle thong in between my toes came out.) So, I had to walk one-shoed the rest of the way. It was raining so hard that umbrellas didn't even help us, and our clothes got all muddy from the splash of our walking/running and wet from the blowing rain. There was one part of the path that was flooded too, it came up to mid-calf! We were soaked to the bone by the time we got back to the car, but laughing at what an experience this was too!
Steve wasn't even that crazy about going to see the fireworks, but went with me because he knew it was important to me. Then he trudged through rain, mud, and subjected himself to lightning. I have the best boyfriend, I am so lucky! :-)

2 Comments:
LOL. Isn't it fun to do silly stuff like that. And have someone to do it with, only because you want him too!!!
Barb
Man, it's too bad it was raining! Your flip-flop story reminded me of one day when it was raining really hard here. One of my students came into class soaked and laughing her butt off, because while she had been driving on campus, she kept seeing people try to run across the crosswalks and then lose their flip-flops in the puddles. =)
We too watched fireworks away from the crowd (we went to the other side of the Mighty Mississippi), and it was really fun. Woohoo! There's music on loudspeakers that they try to synchronize, but of course, we were too far away to hear it. I'm glad you guys had fun.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home