Lauren's thoughts

OCCUPATION: PhD student FAVORITES: being with my wonderful husband Steve, stand-up comedy, travel, Harry Potter, reading for enjoyment, music (eclectic: orchestral, jazz & blues, top 40, oldies), cooking vegetarian cuisine, spending time with friends, watching "my shows" (Grey's Anatomy, Lost, 24, Six Feet Under, Sopranos) & shopping at Lerner NY & Co! DISLIKES: accidentally eating meat, hatred, intolerance, odd numbers, & dirty kitchens

Sunday, September 30, 2007

5 years!

This past Wednesday 9/26 was our 5 year anniversary of being together. I can't believe Steve & I have been together that long! We really only celebrate our wedding anniversary now, but we semi-celebrated by having the last part of our wedding cake and going to the Phila Orchestra on Thursday night. We had eaten half of our wedding cake on our anniversary in July, but the top of the cake was so big, we only ate half of it! It was still delicious. Thanks again, Katherine! :-)

Also, our tickets were part of a promotion for the night before their big season-opener, so they were free. They were in the first 1/3 of the orchestra section, which would usually be $130 for both tickets. :-0 We've been a few times before, and have gotten the super cheap $15 tickets on the second balcony, around the side looking down on the orchestra (i.e., we could look down and throw a nickel into the tuba if we wanted to! LOL). The cheap seats are actually pretty cool, to see the entire orchestra so close up and the orchestra members' view of the conductor's cues and expressions, but it was a treat to sit in the expensive seats for once.

We spent this weekend doing a big cooking marathon to fill the freezer. Between yesterday and today, Steve & I made
  • basil pesto - to preserve yummy basil through the winter. Put in everything but the parm cheese (olive oil, salt, basil, walnuts, garlic) and we add the cheese when we take it out of the freezer
  • vegetable lasagna - with spinach, onions & mushrooms and tofu-cottage cheese filling instead of ricotta
  • pasta sauce - with canned san marzano tomatoes and peppers, onions, basil, oregano, & thyme
  • butternut squash mac & cheese - a new recipe, which is delicious! It uses roasted, pureed butternut squash as the base for the cheese sauce, and it has a great sweet-salty-cheesy taste. Leave a comment if you want the recipe! :-)
  • taco chicken (for Steve) - chicken baked & marinated in salsa and enchilada sauce
  • enchilada lasagna with chicken (for Steve) - same as enchiladas, but layered like lasagna instead of rolled
  • oatmeal raisin cookies - recipe originally from Quaker, but we made them with double cinnamon and some honey substituting for part of the granulated sugar

3 Comments:

Blogger erica said...

Your cooking marathon sounds awesome! If we had one of those chest freezers, we'd definitely do that, but we have so much stuff in our regular freezer that we wouldn't have space for a lot of stuff prepared ahead (though I did that to some extent to prepare for Kent's first few weeks). I think we'll probably get a freezer like that within a few years, though, so that we can make yummy things in bulk and just defrost them. Your cookies sound like a really good idea; my favorite cookie recipe is an oatmeal one that uses ww flour, and I use chocolate chunks instead of raisins because I'm not a huge fan of raisins in stuff. I made a big batch of those several weeks ago, and we're still pulling some out of the freezer!

Anyway, happy defrosting! =)

9:46 PM  
Blogger Don said...

Wow, not I want to come to Philly for an awesome dinner or at the least, a cooking lesson! The Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese sounds really good and I would love to get a copy of the recipe! The more and more you talk about making tons of food, the more I consider trying it here as well and getting one of those large freezers! Enjoy your new goodies!!!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Don said...

That was supposed to be "NOW" instead of "not." I think I am getting tired!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home