exploding soda
This is why you don't leave a 12-pack of soda in the trunk when it is around 0 degrees. I got this in State College last week (gotta love the Wegmans soda! I import it to Philadelphia) and forgot that it was in the trunk. Oops. When I opened the trunk this morning to get my snow pusher/scraper, I realized what had happened. This was some pretty intense exploding! As you can see in the photo, the exploding ripped the box open. Also, the top popped off of two of the cans - it looked like a can opener had opened them! Strangely, there were 4 in tact cans (i.e., not exploded and not "bloated" on the top and bottom of the can) and they weren't even frozen - they were still liquid! How is it that 2 cans explode, several get bloated and distort the shape of the can even if the soda is still in there, but 4 cans are totally fine??
In other news, I leave in a few hours for my Vanderbilt interview. It starts tonight with dinner, then meetings all day tomorrow, a talk (I just saw that I am on the calendar of events - I'm an event! eeek! cue nervousness...) Then I return Thurs night. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:
Yay, my wifey is an event! You'll rock the interview!
Hey Lauren, I hope you knocked their socks off!!
Let us know how it went. When do you find out anything?
Barb
Ooh, good luck at Vandy! It should be a neat experience, despite all the nervousness and such. You'll do an awesome job.
Were you at the beach the year we left a couple of soda cans in the freezer and then had to clean it out after the mess happened? I remember that Zack was there, because I think he had left them in the freezer and ended up cleaning, but I can't remember who else was there. Anyway, I can see how even if you knew not to put cans in the freezer, you might not associate that with your trunk. It's too cold up there. You should be here, where it got above 70 today. =)
A thought on the non-bloated cans... is it possible they were on the inside, insulated from the cold by their neighbors who took one for the team? Just wondering. I'm glad you could salvage some of your Wegman's soda!
Hahah, that's happened to me before. I think I've left some outside, and once in my mini fridge while I was at Pfeiffer! I guess they were too close to the "freezer" part or I'd set the temp too cold and all of a sudden in the middle of the night I heard this scary noise. Luckily, despite having been dead asleep, I immediately realized what it was. And waited for the popping to stop and opened the door to a lovely mess! Oh boy. Saddness that you lost all that cheap Wegman's soda. I still have some Diet Wedge left!! Can you believe it?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home